Valletta- the fortified capital of the islands was named after Grandmaster Jean de la Vallette, who laid the foundation stone on March 28th 1566, one year after the glorious victory of the Great Siege.
Valletta was the first planned town in medieval Europe, now a UNESCO World Heritage site with spectacular fortifications which represent a masterpiece of 16th c. military architecture. Also grand Auberges, houses, churches and an impressive military hospital were added to the fortified new capital.
Before Valletta, the seat of power of the Order was in Malta's oldest town-Birgu, in a fortress, San Angelo. Here is Fort San Angelo, residence of the Hospitalliers Knights between 1530-1574.
♥ Visit Tagulandang Island ♥